Re: [livecode] gamepad programming

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 16:38:31 -0000 (GMT)

> On 02/01/2008, Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Some text from me about live coding and games, contains a brief history
>> of
>> livecoding (apologies for anyone I missed out) - and some stuff on
>> programming games (i.e. games where programming is part of the
>> gameplay)...
>

> Very interesting and a fun read. Thanks!
>
> Most of the examples of programming in games that have been mentioned on
> the
> list so far have related to relatively old and relatively obscure games
> that
> don't seem to have mass market appeal right now.
>
> So; I would like to point out that Final FantasyXII which is fairly recent
> and is very popular indeed has a system for programming friendly AI.
>
> In this game you control a group of young warriors that travel and get in
> lot of battles. Unlike previous versions ("Final" is getting quite silly
> as
> a word here) combat is in realtime. The catch is that the player doesn't
> have to control all actions by all active friendly characters explicitly
> and
> can instead use a simple but relatively versatile set of rules to form a
> sort of AI for his characters.
>
> Aside from the evident mainstream appeal of this game another aspect that
> might be interesting here is the way this system is woven into the
> gameplay.
> In FinalFantasy the player can discover and acquire items like magical
> swords but in this version the player can similarly find or "buy" new
> instructions. These are fairly simple, no loops or recursion or exceptions
> or whatever, we are talking about stuff in the order of "target; a
> sleeping
> enemy" which will allow one to construct a rule that basically expresses
> "if
> you see a sleeping enemy try to steel loot from him", the character will
> do
> this unless some other rule is more important at that moment (this is
> expressed by the order in which they are placed) but the way in which all
> of
> this is integrated with the rest of the game is somewhat interesting.
>
> I wonder to what degree this mechanic will use the rather common situation
> of gamers cursing at friendly AI controlled characters to introduce
> programming as a concept to people who might otherwise never encounter it,
> this might be a strong incentive to some.

That's really interesting, I haven't played any of the FF series for quite
some time now. I wonder how far they will take this.

According to wikipedia:

"It&#333; drew inspiration for gambits from plays in American football
where each team member has a specific job to do based on the conditions
and desired outcome."

Sounds like it's worthy of further investigation for non-computer live
coding :)

The only similar thing I've seen like this are the controls for "The Sims"
where you stack up instructions in order, but they are not conditional.

cheers,

dave