Re: [livecode] gamepad programming

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 18:01:36 +0100

On 02/01/2008, Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org> wrote:

> That's really interesting, I haven't played any of the FF series for quite
> some time now. I wonder how far they will take this.

Not far enough, so far, in my opinion.

Interesting in how it works out in practice is that it doesn't have
facilities for more complicated expressions; it's always;

if (x) then do (y)

So, if we have a rule that says especially large enemies should be attacked
using a powerful fire spell the poor little characters will happily do this
even if the monster eats fire or worse yet reflects it back.

This feels limited but it also leads to chain-reactions that make you shout
"What?!! stop doing that!" which should be a familiar feeling to most here.
Mid-battle re-programming is fortunately possible. I would like something
like a "unless" or "and" clause but as it is I suppose it's already quite
daring as a interface.

It looks like there are some hidden similar clauses at work. For example a
character charged with casting protective spells on his friends won't do so
if there is already such a spell on them.

According to wikipedia:

> "It&#333; drew inspiration for gambits from plays in American football
> where each team member has a specific job to do based on the conditions
> and desired outcome."
>
> Sounds like it's worthy of further investigation for non-computer live
> coding :)

Yes, indeed. Clearly we need access to a convention of Final Fantasy
players, preferably one of those where people dress up as their favourite
characters!

Yours,
Kas.