Re: [livecode] non-linguistic programming

From: alex <alex_at_lurk.org>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 17:35:17 +0000

On Wed, 2008-01-02 at 14:51 +0100, douglas edric stanley wrote:
> http://www.abstractmachine.net/blog/algorithmic-writing-systems/

Very interesting, thank you!

> Of note: I call them text-based languages because
> I think (as I describe in the paper) that they
> have very little to do with language, and have
> everything to do with the way in which ASCII is
> represented within the machine.

I do not fully understand your argument, I think I'm missing
something... A novel is a list of characters in the same way that a
text based program is. I don't see why this linearity leads to
ugliness.

Are pure functional programs immune from your criticism? For example
Haskell programs are not sequences of instructions (leaving aside
monadic trickery) and so functions may be executed in any order,
concurrently across any number of processors. They are however
represented in ASCII, with two dimensional structure (linefeeds and
whitespace have meaning).

> Oh my! Sounds like I'm stuck back in the 70's,
> growing up in Northern California.

:D

alex