Re: [livecode] gamepad programming

From: <tom_at_nullpointer.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 02 Jan 2008 19:19:58 +0000

Hey its me .. the quite one again :)

I love this shit and Ive always liked daves connection to games and
gaming as a performance style medium.

So just to add a little to this thread...

http://www.thinkinggames.co.uk/content/?p=167
A post i wrote on my research blog about the gambits system in ff12
Loosely connected to
http://www.thinkinggames.co.uk/content/?p=165
http://www.thinkinggames.co.uk/content/?p=158
on using macro script programming tools like 'glider'
to create botting scripts for mmorpgs
I love this sort of programming intervention and the way they have to do
stuff like pixel picking to check health levels etc.. ace
its been a recent hobby of mine to follow and identify botters.
Been doing quite a bit of research in the area etc..

and on a slight older but associated tip
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tower_Of_Babel_(computer_game)
was a programming game i loved as a kid.
and of course the obvious candidate
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crobots
But you are right in terms of there being few modern examples
TBH some of the processes created by players in current mmos
is often equivalent to programming. WoW has frequently clamped down on
the penetration of its lua based scripting system to avoid exploits that
could practically automate complex systems ingame.

Along a similar but more tenuous line is the idea of rts systems as drag
n drop gui programming. Particularly the recent wave of tower defence
style games are a little like some sort of dsp filtering system (see
immortal defence?)

As you can tell, my work has been moving more into games and away from
the livecoding things i used to do, but this list stil keeps throwing
cool little infobits at me :)