Re: [livecode] non-linguistic programming

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2008 10:47:55 -0000 (GMT)

> I've just watched this excellent talk about how GUI widgets may be fused
> together in order to compose higher order behaviour:
>
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=faJ8N0giqzw
>
> If you ignore his stereotyped view of computer artists there's some
> really fascinating stuff. In the questions he mentions an idea that
> reminds me of Julian's supercollider timeline - do you have that written
> up anywhere, Julian?. Conal points to this book as inspiration:
>
> http://www.alphabetvsgoddess.com/index.html
>
> You could construct a nasty diatribe against livecoding with this...
> Text as misogynistic, out of balance. I wonder if there's anything in
> it?

Well, I've never thought about programming in terms of text - even when
writing very mundane C++. I think about it in terms of interacting
entities and boxes, which then have to be translated into whatever
programming language I'm using.

I should be programming in UML really, but somehow I've never got on very
well with it - or dataflow langauages for that matter.

cheers,

dave