Re: [livecode] chucK n00bie asks a potentially dumb question

From: Kassen <signal.automatique_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 20:09:18 +0200

In fact I am.

I won't be livecoding the 21st but I'll be "live programming".

I'll be programming my home-build sequencer/drummachine through the use of
arcade-style game controllers, in fact I'll have to because I intentionally
didn't include pattern storage facilities in it.
The philosophy behind this is that with game-controllers you can take more
advantage of muscle memory then with a X0X style interface which
could/should open up more bandwidth between the performer and the data in
the sequencer thus enabling me to move out of the "presentation of
pre-prepared material" idea that's so boring about most dance-music
performances.

I developed this out of ChucK, some Nord Modular patches (that are kinda
interwoven with the ChucK structure) and a set of game controllers through
Playstation => USB converters. ( HORI "real arcade pro" joystick and two
"beatmania" controllers, for those into that sort of thing). Also; there is
no graphical feedback, partially to focus on the sound, partially to deal
with it all on a more physical level.

The positive side to this is that it's very live and exciting to do and at
times quite intuitive, the downside is that it's also kinda easy to mess up,
more or less like livecoding but to a lesser degree. In fact I would be
quite surprised if there weren't one or two songs that would degrade into a
monotonous unstructured mess. I urgently need about a year's worth of daily
practice with this but I'm improving, lately...

So, that's it, not quite completely off-topic. The concept could be taken
further, for example by combining it with livecoding but my current setup is
quite coherent so it'll take a very good new idea before I change a lot
about it, not in the last place because I need more experience with this
fairly simple form.

I'm planning to attend the Saturday SC gig and see what people are up to, I
noticed Cylob is playing so I'm interested in that because he also wrote his
own sequencer and I'm quite curious about Fredrik.

Cheers,
Kas.