Re: [livecode] beginning livecoding - questions

From: James Baker <cycle.code.media_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 14:02:14 +1000

hey Josh,

the easiest way is to communicate with osc, so you need a "backend" to
handle synthesis stuff (any osc capable app - csound, max/msp. pd.
sc3, etc etc). of course you *could* write your own synth engine +
couple that with a scripting lang, there was a couple floating around
(i think pulsecode was one i saw) but this is definitely more work
than you really need to do.

In my opinion, the best way to get going is to start firing off some
simple scripts first that create musical (via osc) events and then
progress into more realtime scenarios.

The downside of using a language like perl is that it isn't dynamic,
in the sense that it cant easily be modified on the fly. the
livecode.pl script gets around that by using some clever little tricks
to create a self-modifying loop. so if your interested in using perl
specifically then checking out the work done there would be a good
start.

Having said that I'm not a perl guru, so others on this list will no
doubt be able to give you more info.

cheers,

James