Re: [livecode] Workshops at LOSS Livecode

From: dave <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 19:12:17 +0100

On Sun, 2007-06-10 at 11:38 +0100, Reg Ludions wrote:
> Hello Dave et al.
>
> On 6 Jun 2007, at 13:41, Dave Griffiths wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > We (Andrew Sorensen, Julian Rohrhuber and I) have been working on the
> > format of the workshop session for the Friday morning at the LOSS
> > Livecode
> > festival.
> >
> > We'd like to know a little bit about what you'd want to use this
> > session
> > for, and the kind of things that would be most beneficial to the
> > participants.
> >
> > Firstly, is a hands on workshop useful (covering basic programming and
> > more juicy possibilities later),
>
> yes I agree with Nick here, there will be plenty of time for
> presentations etc elsetime, see below.
>
> > or are you all hardcore hackers
>
> we're not all programming and/or linux experts, certainly not during
> the first moments of a conf...?
>
> > who want to use the time to discuss the features of the 3
> > livecoding systems
> > (Supercollider, Impromptu and Fluxus) in more of a presentation/panel
> > format?
>
> as above, surely this would naturally come sometime after the sat
> presentations?
>
> I'd vote for something like a gentle _hands-on_ introduction to the
> main systems in turn, the main emphasis could be getting simple
> things running on peoples machines, the more theoretical issues would
> be kept for later.
>
> This would mean though some organisation in advance so everyone could
> have the appropriate builds on their own machines?... Perhaps some
> clear links/instructions on the wiki so we could come prepared? Would
> something like this be feasible?

Well, we do have access to some machines we could potentially install
software on, I need to find out more about that. I think that would be
ideal, as it doesn't restrict the workshop to people with laptops - also
we can install workshop material ready to use.

I was also thinking of bringing a bunch of pure:dyne CD's which will
boot on any intel machine (I think) and contain supercollider and
fluxus, but that doesn't help with impromptu.

cheers,

dave