Re: [livecode] flyer essay - your input needed!

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 20:58:47 +0100

hacked it to try and make a cleaner edit, enclosed draft below and on page.
I kept the bits I took out on the wiki for immediate editing, and someone
might feel strongly and want to put certain bits back in again...

Live coding began when people realised it is actually possible to change
their minds whilst thinking, and to rewrite a program whilst it runs.
Humans make dynamic cogs within the threads of rule systems which rewrite
themselves. By taking control of the technology that mediates between us
and the creative act, making the technology _part_ of the creative act
itself, we embrace the inherent creativity of computer programming.

Live coding renders practicable what many forms of sonic/visual exploration
strive to materialize; the concurrency of creative processes, expression
and the dynamics of correlative engagement. In many ways, this practice has
lead to exceedingly different and exciting artifacts ranging from highly
conceptual music to explorations in its potential as an interface to club
culture.

In short, livecoding is where musicians, artists and programmers of all
talents can express themselves artistically through immediate computer
programming.