Re: [livecode] more livecoding movies

From: Andrew Sorensen <andrew_at_moso.com.au>
Date: Tue, 10 Apr 2007 09:43:05 +1000

> At aa-cell gigs AS and I have found similar variation in response,
> although on the whole most people like to see the code, and be able
> to read it. We increasingly try to help folk to understand by using
> very obvious (or leading) function and variable names which helps
> in the general sense of anticipation from the audience. There are
> the few who think it's just showing off... you can't please everyone.

Further to this - what I think is very strange is that by and large
those most likely to start waxing lyrical about intellectual
masturbation are other programmers - very interesting!

I'm with Dave on the whole programming is easy thing - well at least
it's no harder than anything else. Is programming really any more or
less difficult than writing, singing, surfing, playing the piano
etc.. There seems to be a general rule of thumb that to be good at
anything takes about ten years. So is it harder to learn to play a
violin or a trumpet, a piano or a saxophone, to learn a natural
written language or a formal written language? My experience is that
achieving a level of proficiency in any of these is equally as
challenging.

The main point of the projection for me is to demonstrate to the
audience that the music is being composed/performed and not played
back off CD. Maybe once people are used to this medium and trust the
performers we might be able to do away with the projection - although
I suspect that given a choice audiences would choose to keep the
projection.

Andrew.S