Re: [livecode] more livecoding movies

From: dave <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Sat, 07 Apr 2007 12:08:23 +0100

On Fri, 2007-04-06 at 14:06 +0200, Kassen wrote:

> Andrew Sorensen
>

> I'd be interested to hear what others think about screencasts
> of live
> coding performances - or recordings of other kinds. Is this
> valid
> and useful or does it detract from the temporal nature of the
> practice. I'll start the discussion by stating that I'm
> really
> unsure myself, which I guess is pretty unsurprising given that
> I'm
> asking the question. The one thing I'm certainly not
> suggesting is
> that these recordings be performed in any sense (i.e. I'm
> definitely
> not advocating recordings being played in concerts).
>
> I love them. I tend to watch most things posted. I have to say though;
> I mainly watch them for pure entertainment. It's hard to get something
> larger out of most videos because the text is nearly always
> unreadable.
>
> Dave's Betablocker and al-jazari are positive exceptions in that
> regard in that the programing instructions are visually larger and
> more clear so those are the ones that I liked best as videos about
> livecoding so far.

It seems to me, from doing performances with various things (including
al-jazari) that the clearer the code (in whatever form) the better the
audience reaction.

Also, maybe, livecoding with a visually over complex language is not too
far away from not livecoding at all - i.e. it's just hiding behind
something else, and somehow saying something worse - "you're not clever
enough to understand this, but I am!".

I worry a bit that that is how livecoding is percieved sometimes.

cheers,

dave