Re: [livecode] sapir-whorf hypothesis

From: Paul Sanders <paul_at_state51.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2007 10:28:47 +0100

This has been buzzing around my head for a fortnight.

Comparative philology is a very arcane area of study. There's so much
controversy around what came to be called the Sapir-Whorf hypothesis,
even though S+W never seemed to hypothesise quite so formally.

Pinker has argued quite convincingly for a universal underlying
linguistic foundation, which cuts right across S+W. I have not read
as much Pinker as I probably should have. But I foound this rather
nice Pinkerish statement:

"Because chimps and monkeys show similar expectations about objects,
languages are probably built on concepts that evolved before humans
did," Spelke suggests.

http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2004/07.22/21-think.html

And many of these debates seem to revolve around Chomsky, whose
career has swung so sharply between academia and popmedia I have
never managed to get a fix on anything he might or might not have
thought.

Formalism is interesting in its own right, I'd say, whether or not
you can explain the human mind as a formalist system, and whether
that system, if it exists, is already there and complete, or whether
it is built while we acquire uses for it.

But it is an interesting idea to play with. Am I thinking about
algorithmic processes or are they thinking about me?

Paul