Re: [livecode] live coding practice

From: alex <alex_at_slab.org>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:39:18 +0000

On Thu, 2007-01-11 at 12:13 +0000, Paul Sanders wrote:
> This probably only illustrates the limits of metaphorical (or my)
> thinking. I don't know if I think an unperformed score is music. I'm
> sure that a performance is music, whether or not there's a score. Not
> that I want to drag this very interesting and open thread down the
> barren path of intentionality, but I would like to keep the
> possibility open that an unsonified algorithm can be music, based on
> some conditions which might even be unspecified.

Well perhaps we can reach agreement by saying we can musicify an
algorithm in our heads just by reading it and imagining its execution
and result, therefore bypassing the sonification part.

Then we're saying an algorithm isn't music until you musicify it, which
seems rather obvious, but forces us to focus on human perception of an
algorithm rather than the algorithm itself.

alex