Re: [livecode] live coding practice

From: Paul Sanders <paul_at_state51.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 2007 12:13:47 +0000

On 11 Jan 2007, at 11:45, alex wrote:

>> On 10 Jan 2007, at 23:20, alex wrote:
>>> an unsonified algorithm can't be music.
>
>> Does it matter who sonifies the algorithm?
>
> Of course. I didn't say all sonified algorithms are music, only that
> unsonified algorithms can't be.

I was interested in the idea of code version control as something
analogous to a sound recording, and am trying to disentangle it in my
head. Previously I had been considering it as more like a score -
even a Cageian instruction set of a score - and I remember discussing
the mechanics of algorithmic music production with a music publisher,
mostly about how much of the machine needs to be documented or
archived before it can be considered a 'musical work' by lawyers
(cultural guardians that they are).

This probably only illustrates the limits of metaphorical (or my)
thinking. I don't know if I think an unperformed score is music. I'm
sure that a performance is music, whether or not there's a score. Not
that I want to drag this very interesting and open thread down the
barren path of intentionality, but I would like to keep the
possibility open that an unsonified algorithm can be music, based on
some conditions which might even be unspecified.

Paul