Re: [livecode] live coding practice

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 19:08:59 +0000

whether the particular artist has skill or
> not is a different matter and is somehow irrelevant to this discussion

Hi Ade,

the artistic posturing can be independent of the skill, but I am explicitly
interested in developing skill sets for live coding, and the best ways to
practise (but not practice...). I guess you can practise your artistic
statements while I practise my practical livecodiscianship ; )

So, performance art is one confrontational aspect, but I'm curious about
taking the notion of live coding seriously as a (probably naive) musician.
This might also answer Peter's question about comparison to musicianship:
existing musical abilities provide interesting parallels, particularly
where you want to play with acoustic musicians! It might turn out that live
coding is too awkward to comfortably play alongside those uber-physical
cerebralists, but I'd hope that we can get there (the bar being set in
Alex's point about seeking perceptual present/short term memory length
turnarounds).

best