Re: [livecode] live coding practice

From: alex <alex_at_slab.org>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 14:13:35 +0000

On Wed, 2007-01-10 at 13:24 +0000, Dave Griffiths wrote:
> I think what makes sense is abstraction - i.e. prewritten libraries.
> "Livecoding from scratch" really means starting with a blank screen, as
> true "from scratch" livecoders have to write drivers etc first. Starting
> with a prewritten script on your screen *is* parameter tweaking, and I do
> a bit of that still but it's getting less and less.

Yes agreed. I still do parameter tweaking too. It's like having a
backing track that you can guide a little.

> Developing libraries is a very important skill for a programmer, as you
> have to distill you philosophy of how to solve a problem into easily
> managable blocks. I think this is really interesting when it comes to
> artistic software, as this interface defines the philosophy you have to
> fit your work into.
>
> This could also be called "style" I think.

Yes I think we're talking about the same thing. Making a library,
extending a language, what's the difference? It's all abstraction as
you say.

The important thing is allowing plenty of freedom to select and combine
those abstractions in an interesting and responsive way during a
performance. Making new abstractions during a performance should also
be possible, but I think it will be shown to be rare.

alex