Re: [livecode] live coding practice

From: Andrew Brown <a.brown_at_qut.edu.au>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:57:47 +1000

Dear Nick,

Further to your comment in another thread,

"I'd love to hear more about Andrew and your current practice efforts
as well- do you have any gigs coming up, or what were your rehearsal
procedures and preparations for last year's?"

Andrew S and I continue to practice together regularly (as aa-cell),
just like a rock band I guess. We work on new techniques and
developing repertoire (and try not get distracted by ongoing
improvements to Impromptu).

And, yes a we have a couple of gigs coming up in February in Brisbane
and anticipate more in March/April in Sydney, and perhaps July in
Canberra (next ACMC). We are contemplating performances in Europe in
Sept/Oct so any heads-up about opportunities there gratefully
received ;)

Between these rehearsal times we individually read a lot of music
composition texts, bone up on programming practices (patterns), and
work on library functions to make live performance more fluid.

On the matter of engagement during performance, I think this is as
true for live coding as for any other performance practice, or indeed
any creative act, and this is independent of technologies (i.e., the
physical interface or language design matters but is not a
significant enabler or inhibiter of engagement - they have more to do
with expressively than engagement, but that's a separate discussion).
I have written about creative engagement in these places (at least),
if you want to check them out.

1. In relation to music composition with computers. (Brown 2000/2001)
http://eprints.qut.edu.au/view/person/Brown,_Andrew.html

2. In relation to meaningful interaction with music and learning.
(Brown 2006)
http://www.amazon.com/Computers-Music-Education-Andrew-Brown/dp/
0415978513/sr=8-1/qid=1168432634/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/002-1253999-6332016?
ie=UTF8&s=books

Cheers,

Andrew