Re: [livecode] livecoding with a bp2-alike thing

From: Julian Rohrhuber <rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de>
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 12:53:59 +0100

> > On Mon, 2006-11-27 at 02:18 +0100, Fredrik Olofsson wrote:
>>> er, with sc i think you'll need to create the glitches yourself ;-)
>>> emulation? top of this page is an ugen and a class that might help...
>>> http://www.fredrikolofsson.com/pages/code-sc.html
>>> no seriously, sc server is a hard one to trick. allocating big chunks
>>> of memory will get you some hickups but not particularly interesting as
>>> glitches. on os x the server is pretty hard to crash i found.
>>> (sc lang on the other hand has a lot to offer. eg just opening
>>> helpfiles or sorting big arrays makes the timing (AppClock) all shaky.
>>> but you only run sc server, right?)
>>
>> Thanks for this... I am using sclang, haven't got far with Drape's
>> haskell sc bindings yet. Maybe it's sclang that I'm crashing? I'll
>> have a look later.
>>
>> I think for live computer music a better failure mode is to glitch,
>> rather than to stop working completely.
>
>is it using jack? there is a soft mode switch for live use, although I can
>still get it to disconnect my clients from time to time under really heavy
>loads...

if you are not depending on any ressources on the
server, you can quickly boot a new one if you
actually have managed to crash the old.

sclang is easy to crash with an infinite loop à
la: fork { loop { } } or anything that approaches
such a situation, but otherwise it usually is
pretty stable.

Alex, are you sending osc first to sclang and from there to scserver?

--
.