Re: [livecode] Haskell state of affairs?

From: dave <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Oct 2006 20:25:12 +0100

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 15:17 +0100, alex wrote:
> I'm a bit confused about how haskell's laziness and monads helps/impacts
> on livecoding...
>
> It's a beautiful language, I encourage others to take a look.

I've been meaning to spend some time getting to know erlang, which seems
to oftem be mentioned alongside haskell. The interesting thing about
erlang is that it's designed for "hot swapping" parts in and out of a
running system, is Haskell similar to this?

Related partly to that, something else I was looking at today was this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Oriented_Assembly_Lisp
Which also has modification of a running process built into it's design:

  "It's astonishing at how much this ability changes your coding style
   - you gravitate to a much more iterative development process, and
   write small bits of code that evolve the codebase while the game is
   running. It's obviously also much better for robustness and
   reliability, because you're testing out each little piece of code
   as it gets added (as opposed to writing a whole mess of code and
   trying to get it compiled and debuggged). As for bugs, often you
   can fix them while the game is running and test out your changes
   instantly - this makes bugfix verification much easier. "

cheers,

dave