Re: [livecode] modes of livecoding

From: Fredrik Olofsson <f_at_fredrikolofsson.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2006 15:11:23 +0200

On 10.09.2006, at 13:39, alex wrote:

<cut out good points here>

> What of any worth could be done in a few seconds? We could change the
> class of sound we're using, for example change from a triangle to a
> square wave or from a cymbal sample to a tb303 sample. We could change
> an effect we're applying such as the reverb depth or modulation. Or we
> could apply some pre-defined process that changes some other aspect of
> the algorithm over time.

for me jitlib certainly offers this flexibility. i just need adapt and
practice more myself ;-) it's amazing what crazy u-turns you may make
- both with the sound synthesis, the controlling lfos, patterns and the
rest of the environment. jitlib code is soft as clay. but enough of
plugging for that.

> In preparation for a performance we extend the language we're using by
> adding libraries and perhaps even syntax such as infix operators to
> provide ourselves with such familiar choices during a performance.

yes but rehearsal is still the key. as opposed to preparation i think.
  in previous gigs i found that if i had planned or prepared code to
copy&paste, it was not only an excuse to play it [falsely] safe but
also quickly got me into a mess. as the code snippets weren't freshly
coded, and under my fingers and in my mind, i forgot what they actually
did and how i had planned to use them. i'm not against shortcuts and
libraries but we'd still need to practice a lot to use them.
also sharing livecode code is harder if it depends on a lot of add-ons.

> In short I think perhaps livecoding will result in a more successful
> improvised performance if we focus on performing with combining
> existing
> ideas rather than creatively trying to produce a whole new idea during
> performance.

yes. but should those ideas exist as code libraries or coding habits?
i think the latter and would again like to stress the importance of
practice - every day for hours! just the single month of practising
nick and i did surely made a huge difference for me.
(of course i'm lazy these days and don't follow my own advice :-) but i
used to play the trumpet almost every day for 13 years. wonder why
it's so hard with discipline when it comes to coding...)
_f

   #|
      fredrikolofsson.com klippav.org musicalfieldsforever.com