Re: [livecode] the future of programming

From: Till Bovermann <tboverma_at_techfak.uni-bielefeld.de>
Date: Thu, 7 Sep 2006 16:03:03 +0200

On 07 Sep 2006, at 01:29, thor wrote:

> Anyhow, my original point was about this particular time lag that
> is characteristic of coding as playing vs. direct playing (for lack of
> better term)

I totally agree with you; and want to put up another critical point:
people/musical instruments "forgive" you in a special way when doing
something wrong: they don't do what you expect, but they do something
close to what you expected. Interpeter/Programming languages not.
When you misspell a word – bang – you get an error message. Which is –
in time critical environments such as musical performances–
frustrating/irritating/flow destroying to the human player...
But on the other way it is nice to have the possibility to get what
you really wanted rather than an approximation.

till.

(Alex: I'll read the article ASAP... :-)