Re: [livecode] the future of programming

From: alex <alex_at_slab.org>
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 19:20:38 +0100

On Tue, 2006-09-05 at 18:00 +0100, thor wrote:
> I remember having this discussion with you 4 years ago : )
> I wish I could understand it.

Me too :)

> For me it's also a question of latency. If we could think programming
> and execute it
> with our thoughts, i.e. not make it and then execute but have the
> making-and-the-executing
> as the same process, then my goal would be achieved.

I think that's just the thinking process. I think you're right, there
is some explicit latency in the livecoding process, but I don't think
it's as great a problem as we might imagine... It just changes how we
react to one another, and to our mistakes. In any case, there are
always fundamental changes that we can make to a script in a matter of
seconds, and we can build up a complex script in many small steps, each
step in reaction to the result of an earlier step and to what
co-improvisers do.

> Consider the difference of thinking with your finger on the guitar
> fretboard and thinking
> with your eyes on your text editor where you program. (and the
> importance of the ENTER button)

But you don't think about what your finger does, do you?

Not being able to play such an instrument, I really don't know :)

> In fact this is the way I'd like to program:
> http://homepages.tesco.net/~bissell/IMAGES/tcrane3a.jpg

Heh, I think Dave could arrange it :) But text input really isn't all
that bad an alternative...

alex