Re: [livecode] the future of programming

From: Julian Rohrhuber <rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de>
Date: Tue, 5 Sep 2006 19:04:50 +0200

>concerning the main discussion:
>I think one really important factor differentiating playing a guitar
>or a programming language is flow as Csikszentmihalyi [1] defines
>it. ATM we are not able to get into a flow within programming;
>results are still too far away...
>

>till
>
>[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

Maybe we are more after something like Verfremdung than Immersion? [2]

> When doing livecoding (also with practicing it) there is still a
>big gap between thinking of the thing you might want to do,
>converting it into valid code, write it down and finally send it to
>the interpreter.

The gap that is there, we should try and keep it open, as long as it
is there. Often it disappears far too quickly. Isn't livecoding a way
of reasoning rather than seamless virtuosity?

[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Defamiliarization

--
.