Re: [livecode] visual coding platforms...

From: nex <nexism_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 07:23:01 +0200

Robert Shelton wrote:
> I could be wrong, but is that effectively just a parse tree?

You're not wrong, but it's still a graph representation of the program
itself. You see, with lispy languages, the structure of the source code
pretty much is the structure of the parse tree, is the structure of the
compiled program code. (Not at the machine code level for most
architectures, but at the VM or interpreter level.) This it's why it's
trivial to write a Lisp interpreter in Lisp, but lots of work to write a
C++ compiler in C++. (More specifically, the reason is Lisp's
homoiconicity [0]).

~nex
________
[0] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homoiconicity