Re: [livecode] visual coding platforms...

From: Robert Shelton <rshelton_at_csse.unimelb.edu.au>
Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 09:31:47 +1000

On Mon, Aug 14, 2006 at 12:24:25PM +0100, alex wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-08-14 at 10:22 +0100, dave wrote:
*snip*
> > For example, I've been playing around with a
> > script that converts lispy languages into dot graphs, it's not working
> > properly yet, but here is the graph representation of the program
> > itself:
> >
> > http://www.pawfal.org/dave/images/dotty.png

I could be wrong, but is that effectively just a parse tree?

> > I just wanted to know what they looked like, but there is no reason you
> > couldn't write an editor that allowed you to build programs like this.
>
> Agreed, but what would be the point?

I'm thinking that syntax highlighting is a good example of adding a
visual aspect to textual languages. I like the idea of having
one-to-one mapping between a textual language and a number of
graphical representations which made implicit information explicit and
also allowed the programmer to manipulate the graphical representation.

Cheers,

Rob.
--
Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering.
The University of Melbourne, Australia.