Re: [livecode] visual coding platforms...

From: Julian Rohrhuber <rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de>
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2006 13:26:42 +0200

>On Wed, 2006-08-09 at 09:45 -0400, mcburton wrote:
>> This looks to be more focused on the visual than audio, but I think
>> the "visual coding platform" is interesting. What does the toplap
>> community think of visual coding vs textual coding?
>
>diagrammatic languages == text based languages
>
>for instance, uml is a system for writing C++ (among other things) via
>various diagrams and outputs compilable C++, these diagrams can be
>generated from existing source code - they just represent a different
>view on the same thing
>
>http://www.uml.org/

While I would not reject "diagrammatic live coding" per se, I don't
agree with your use of "just .. a dfferent view on the same thing".
It is the view that makes the difference. This is one of the things
that become evident specially in live coding since the program
consists also in the programmer modifying the structure of
representation.
The traditional product-oriented view of software design does not
apply to experimental programming, because, as in mathematics, the
formalism cannot be treated as if it were completely transparent.
--
.