Re: [livecode] Doug Stanley interview

From: alex <alex_at_slab.org>
Date: Tue, 06 Jun 2006 12:12:25 +0100

On Tue, 2006-06-06 at 12:34 +0200, Julian Rohrhuber wrote:
> The question is if we want to see the techniques of live coding to be
> more than something that happens within a specific cultural context
> and situation (electronic music on stage).

I understand that TOPLAP has already been strongly criticised for its
preoccupation with this context. The recent panel at the Dana centre
included ap (www.1010.co.uk), who (again, as I understand it) are
rejecting that situation and (by association) TOPLAP. This is a shame
as the members of TOPLAP make up a very broad church, Julian in
particular has often flagged up this issue. Anyway I should invite ap
to this list so they can make their position for themselves.

By the way, Martin of ap livecoded the panel session in lisp which
involved speech synthesis and quite a bit of debugging. They introduced
their notion of 'expanded software' which I didn't fully understand but
involved interactively programming everything.

alex