Re: [livecode] new members

From: Marcel Wierckx <Marcel_at_LowNorth.nl>
Date: Sun, 23 Apr 2006 16:42:37 +0200

hello Livecoders

High time to introduce myself lest I drift into the obscurity of lurkers.

I'm a composer who also makes video art, mostly
for theater and dance but I also do a lot of
autonomous work. I've also acted and danced in
some small stage productions, and I make
installation art and write software too. And in
the little time left over I teach music
technology and composition at the Utrecht School
of Music Technology. If you want you can read all
about me at http://www.LowNorth.nl/marcel/ (allow
me to apologize in advance for the cheesy
picture).

So that all the purists can dismiss me
immediately: I do live coding with MaxMSP.

My approach to live coding is a little less
technical than it is conceptual. I'm a big fan of
the early surrealists, and my goal is to apply
the idea of "écriture automatique" to live
coding. For the (few) performances I've done with
my students we set a time limit - 5 minutes -
within which the performer has to put together a
generative patch.
A small Max patch running in the background
crashes the computer after exactly 5 minutes of
coding. This not only heightens the level of
stress the performer experiences, resulting in a
more invigorating experience for everybody, but
it also ensures that the performer's work can't
be saved, reflecting the transient (volatile?)
nature of the medium.

Anyone living in the Netherlands is of course welcome to see us perform:

Monday 15 May at Kraakgeluiden in Amsterdam (http://www.kraakgeluiden.com/)

Friday 9 June at Kikker Theater in Utrecht (as
part of the "SuperProeflokaal" event)
http://www.theaterkikker.nl/muziek.php?id=577&agenda=detail

thanks for your bandwidth

Marcel