Re: [livecode] sonar etc

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Thu, 30 Jun 2005 10:48:56 +0100 (BST)

> Hi all,
>
> Yep sonar was great fun, my only regret was not being able to enjoy (and
> react to) Dave's live video, it being projected behind us. We discussed
> putting a screen in front of us to solve this problem...

more projectors, we always need more projectors :)

actually - I saw some funky back-projected-on-transparent-screen monitors
at sonar, sure to be the next big thing, and means your display is much
more visible.

> On Fri, 2005-06-24 at 13:05 +0100, Dave Griffiths wrote:
>> a couple of friends of mine in the audience enjoyed it, and importantly,
>> got the core idea behind what we were doing (I deliberately tried to
>> avoid
>> explaining much to them beforehand) - but had some observations, mainly
>> along the lines that it all looked quite confusing what was going on -
>> despite the huge projections.
>
> Yes I think the huge projections suggested that people were supposed to
> know what was going on. I think the audio livecoding should be
> obfuscated.

fair enough :)

> some nice photos of Nick during a post-performance warm down though:
>
> http://flickr.com/photos/yaxu/22340450/

a flying livecoder!

> I am really enjoying livecoding now, getting more confident with
> adapting scripts live and doing little bits of from-scratch livecoding.
> It's becoming easier to do longer sets as we seem to all relax into the
> on-the-fly way.

I agree, the sonar gig was my best livecoding experience I think, and I
managed to write a fairly complex script from scratch - which actually
suited the music better than the prewritten scriptlets that I had in
reserve.

cheers,

dave