Re: [livecode] live genetic programming

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Mar 2005 10:58:55 +0100

On Tue, 29 Mar 2005 23:15:55 +0100 (BST), Marcel Corso wrote
> hi all,
>
> I was wondering if someone implemented something like
> a live genectic programming interface into a live
> coding IDE?

yup! I've been playing with live genetic programming ideas.
my live music system:
http://www.pawfal.org/Software/livenoisetools/images/lnt.png
uses genetic programming and livecoding interchangably, allowing you to hack
evolved lsystem rules, or evolve hand written rules - used to create musical
scores.

the genetic interface (the breeder) lets you audition four mutated variations,
and pick one for further mutation.

this isn't really classical GP though, I'm also developing this:
http://www.pawfal.org/index.php?page=WigWamJam
for evolving synth patches, which uses standard Koza style GP.

> Something like displaying the parse trees of the
> running scripts. The running scripts would be free to
> be changed (mutated) by a drag-n-drop operation (of a
> sub-tree) or just the retyping of a node etc...
> The live-programmer could also control the fitness
> function by deciding wich script would die or just by
> seting its probability of dying on the next loop...
> (the audience could participate! ehehhe)

As you can see - I've avoided fitness functions, as they are really bloody
tricky, and means the GP enters the realms of generative art.

I really prefer manual selection for this application, it appeals more to my
sense of serendipity, and trying to figure out fitness functions to to make
different types of music seems too much of a boring academic exercise for a
hacker like me :)

cheers,

dave