[livecode] re: rehearsing and planning

From: Craig Latta <craig_at_netjam.org>
Date: Thu, 02 Dec 2004 15:51:50 -0800

Hi--

        Alex writes:

> ...while pre-preparing a script (in a livecoding environment of
> course), the hacker records many 'snapshots' of the code while it's
> being built. Then when it comes to performing the code, the
> performer can move backwards and forwards between these snapshots, as
> well as doing live edits.
>
> Therefore the audience gets to hear the code grow as it was
> developed in the studio, but sped up (or slowed down, or reversed).
> Development time meets performance time.

        This is how I've been living for quite some time, with Squeak (an
environment I mentioned here a while ago). All the time is runtime
already, and the system can make perfect snapshots of itself, including
all running processes, debuggers, etc. You can even resume the snapshots
on other machines/platforms. I think it's great for livecoding.

-C

--
Craig Latta
improvisational musical informaticist