Re: [livecode] toplap

From: Julian Rohrhuber <rohrhuber_at_uni-hamburg.de>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 10:51:48 +0200

> --- Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:22:26 +0100 (BST),
>>
>> another idea is to look at universal machines that
>> could be programmed
>> visually so that the description, process and the
>> execution are the same -
>> conway's "life" springs to mind - you could have
>> pixels that trigger sounds,
>> and build glider guns to fire patterns at them....
>> you can build the basic
>> logic gates out of glider guns and glider "eaters" I
>> believe.
>

>cool info on the subject:
>http://website.lineone.net/~edandalex/camus.htm
>
>Doing music with cellular automata is not new.. it
>would be cool to see it live! (lots of colors and
>flashes!).
>But the programmer in stage doesn't have much control
>of it... Dont think that changing the rules off a cell
>survival would do much good because is quite hard to
>find one that creates weird and interesting
>structures.. Perhaps changing the mapping of the
>cells in the grid to music events...
>
>Does anyone have experiences with those things?

some years ago I wrote a fairly additive synthesis system (actually
simply a parametric grid) that could be driven via turing machines
(not cellular automata) on a 2D plane:

http://swiki.hfbk-hamburg.de:8888/MusicTechnology/133

you could change the interpretation of the data on the fly.
I haven't had the time to port that to a newer system yet though.
--
.