Re: [livecode] toplap

From: Adrian Ward <adrian_at_signwave.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 09:40:19 +0100

On 27 Oct 2004, at 4:40 am, Marcel Gonzalez Corso wrote:

> Doing music with cellular automata is not new.. it
> would be cool to see it live! (lots of colors and
> flashes!).

I can't help thinking we've come in a full circle. There's something
decidedly 1996 CD-ROM Multimedia-ish about talking about making music
with walking pixels and cellular automata. Yes, maybe some of these
ideas might constitute livecoding scenarios, but let's not forget where
we came from.

TOPLAP is - for me - a move away from the soundtoys, the instant music
makers, the generative music tools, the quirky combinations of ideas. I
think TOPLAP needs to firmly reject these in order to maintain it's
foothold on the central thesis that is... software production is music
authorship.

--
Adrian Ward, Signwave UK
http://www.signwave.co.uk/ - +44(0)7711 623498