Re: [livecode] Re: toplap proposal for dosensos

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 16:08:02 +0100

On Wed, 15 Sep 2004 09:02:41 +0100, Nick Collins wrote
> it sounds like a jam to me.
>
> But can you alter the mathematics of the scale system live? That's
> what I'll be doing if you're just going to use scala as a MIDI database...

no, but sort of yes - I've tried to write a description of this several times
and failed, so I'll resort to bad ascii art.

note information from melody

        | interval set by user
        \/
--------------------
| scale quantiser | <---- uses scala descriptions
| | |
| | | this box is optional
| \/ |
| scale filtering |
--------------------

        \/
out to synth/sampler etc

the scale filtering allows you to exclude certain notes from the octave. It
should be apparent at this point that I know sod all about music theory, and
that filtering notes is a complete hack, but there you go :)

the cool thing is that I've dumped midi, so I can specify frequencies with
note events to my sampler and synth via osc.

on another note (and I'm aware this is getting a bit long and technical) I've
finally also got the sequencer and sampler apps to pass timestamped events
through osc in ntp format, and the sampler stacks them up to act on in time.

so if/when we figure out a toplap standard syncronisation standard, I might be
able to use it somehow :)

perhaps I should just use ChucK or supercollider...

dave