Re: [livecode] timing is everything

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 10:34:00 +0100

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 16:56, Julian Rohrhuber wrote:
> osc has quite a good system for timing I think.
> It uses the NTP time server, to create time stamps according to the
> osc time format (64 bit, first 32bit is seconds since 1970, second 32
> is divisions of a second).
> You then simply schedule the packets ahead in time, so the maximum
> lag time is accounted for. This way you get very exact timing.

just got osc up and running (via Steve Harris's liblo), it seems pretty
nice. I see that you can timestamp event bundles to happen at a
particular time.

this is a slightly different matter to syncing multiple livecoding
sessions on different machines though. as far as I can see it (and I
might be being thick here, not sure what apps like sc and pd do) we'd
need a master clock - either specifying times for the next tick - or
broadcasting occasional sync times every x ticks to keep everyone in
time. and this is assuming we're all using the same real time clock...
confused...

dave