[livecode] toplap-perf-postmortem

From: Tom Betts <tom_at_nullpointer.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 18:33:32 +0100

Hi All,

Was nice to see you all in Aarhus and run with the livecoding massive..

However I was wondering if we should try some sort of informal postmortem on
the gig.
I'm saying this because although I enjoyed it immensly It wasnt much like
what I expected
and I felt didnt really follow some of the ideals set out in the dox etc.

I'll outline a couple of my thoughts here, but feel free to flame me on them
if you like..

I felt that one aspect of live coding should be to de-mystify the process
and
reveal the act of coding to the audience so that they can gain a better
understanding
of the processes involved and have acloser relationship with the realtime
development of the
preformance.. I felt that in aarhus the 1 screen didnt really allow for this
as it didnt allow the audience to
follow a single visual source to understand the coding process and relate it
to the audio evoilution etc.
Perhaps this was also linked to the lack of a 'timesharing/movement'
structure... If one performer was to
'take a solo' for say 10mins (while others dropped out or stripped down
their output) then the av relationship could
bea more easily experienced.. I also felt that the constant mixing of
sources made this difficult to do.
In connection with this i was a bit confused by daves imagery, i wasnt quite
sure how it related to the
evolving performance (were you taking a feed from someone?) and i was keen
to see some of the code that
was actually generating the visuals... I guess that it being a club
environment it was inevitable that
the performance would be geared in that direction, but i wonder how a less
'party' setting would effect the
experience/peformance...perhaps people maight be put more 'on the spot'
which could be interesting...

However not to be too picky I thought one aspect that worked amazingly well
was the fact that even with 5 people jamming
it didnt just trn into a noise out... I think that each person using a
different software and coding approach helped this
(just like a band of 5 guitars has less range when improvising than a band
with different instruments)
I think it was also the mix of personal improvisational styles that worked
also, a mix of ambient, drone, melodic, beat led etc..
I guess like all improvising the more we practice the better we will get
too....

anyway theres my 2 kroner... ;)

p.s. i reckon maybe we should comment our livecode as we go along! ;) ///