Re: [livecode] toplap-perf-postmortem

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 11:14:55 +0100

On Mon, 2004-08-30 at 18:33, Tom Betts wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> Was nice to see you all in Aarhus and run with the livecoding massive..
>
> However I was wondering if we should try some sort of informal postmortem on
> the gig.

good idea

> I felt that one aspect of live coding should be to de-mystify the process
> and
> reveal the act of coding to the audience so that they can gain a better
> understanding
> of the processes involved and have acloser relationship with the realtime
> development of the
> preformance..

Demystification is the aim, but I don't think it's realistic at this
point for people to understand the languages we are using (I don't
understand any of the sc code). I think simply showing it is enough for
people to see that things are happening and doing so live. It's a start.

People I spoke to said there was a tangable feeling of improvisation
and/or panic :)

> I felt that in aarhus the 1 screen didnt really allow for this
> as it didnt allow the audience to
> follow a single visual source to understand the coding process and relate it
> to the audio evoilution etc.

Yep, one screen leads to total chaos (kudos to Amy for dealing with the
mixing though) - in the ideal setting we'd have a more controlled view
of the coding. Getting everyone to use a black background is essential
if the screens are overlayed - the pd window blew everything else away
:)

Maybe a split screen aproach would be better - with current eq levels of
that performer, so you could see who was contributing what at a given
time. Whatever, we need something pretty complex in the video mixing
department with lots of people playing.

> In connection with this i was a bit confused by daves imagery, i wasnt quite
> sure how it related to the
> evolving performance (were you taking a feed from someone?)

I had audio out of the mixer.

> and i was keen
> to see some of the code that
> was actually generating the visuals...

The little green window floating around is the fluxus script editor. The
font's a bit small though. Will be fixed.

> I guess that it being a club
> environment it was inevitable that
> the performance would be geared in that direction, but i wonder how a less
> 'party' setting would effect the
> experience/peformance...perhaps people maight be put more 'on the spot'
> which could be interesting...

big spotlights on the current performers? :)

> p.s. i reckon maybe we should comment our livecode as we go along! ;)

A few observations from my POV, firstly a confession, I did load some
scripts up - really as new starting points to continue from. I think
I'll write some livecode template scripts for different types of
visuals. This might be a bit different from doing sound, not sure.
I reloaded the starting script a couple of times to take things in a
different direction.

I had a great time too though - much more fun than I had imagined (even
with gl lockups), I am a total beginner at this performance malarky
compared to you guys though :)

cheers,

dave