Re: [livecode] ultrasound blurb

From: Alex <mail_at_idoia.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Aug 2004 11:07:51 +0100

Hey alex,

I may have a suggestion to give as an external listener to your interesting
discussion.

It may actually be good to state shortly and firstly what are the different
possibilities a musician has to compose/play music with a computer. Many
people are still very confused about it (even musicians themselves). At
least the difference between "live composition" and the use of tools to play
existing (prerecorded ?) material. People may have already a little idea
about it (or not at all) but they would more easily understand your point
after that.

> Some computer languages allow changing a running process on the fly by
> rewriting the code that defines it. Applied to computer music this means
> that one can write sound compositions while they are already playing.

The relationship between computer languages and "computer music" is for you
natural and when your are talking about it, I hear a guitarist or a piano
player talking about its instrument. But the link is far from being obvious
to people generally and moreover for traditional musicians who are still
very much going towards computers for their abilities to sequence and edit
music and not so much for composing.

For this you may have to go through a rough explanation of the entity of
electronic music or how a computer "understand" music. A good introduction
to this has been written by Miller Puckette, as an online book:
http://crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/techniques.htm

Sure, for a short proposal, it may difficult to condense this in one or two
phrases but I think they are quite essential.

WOOOW this is very interesting guys, I keep on listening....
Alex (the French one).