Re: [livecode] re: coding from scratch

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2004 16:26:24 +0100

On Sun, 2004-07-18 at 17:34, Nick Collins wrote:
> hope placard went well, Dave, Alex.

I had fun, a slight panic with a dodgy mixer, but after that I got into
it. The whole thing was improvised, live coded from scratch (still not
sure if my lsystems rule writing really counts as code). I found that in
the heat of the performance I actually had a lot more time to do things
than I had imagined.

I failed, however, to get my screen projected - too much else to worry
about I guess. Next time.

A mate of mine recorded the gig, am I allowed to upload it Alex?

The two Alex'es performance of drum & perl was a highlight of the day,
slowly building up beats and the odd blast of acid melody as
drummer-Alex freeformed on top.
Lots of terminal window action - bit difficult to see the code itself
due to the projector (and the white sheet that wouldn't stay stuck to
the wall :] ) You could kind of manually mix the drumming + electronics
by adusting your headphones, I was a bit close to the kit to take full
advantage of this though...

> Is Dave Griffiths joining us on live video with fluxus? Not coming
> to Aarhus?

I dunno much about it (and would have to get time off work, which might
be tricky then) - really got the live performance bug now though so....

> There are haptics in programming- I can enjoy typing. But feel of typing
> doesn't lead to musical themes in the same way themes fit keys or the
> breath. In musical improvisation actions are often so automated out of
> conscious control that you get a rush of pleasure in the flow of your own
> mind/body. Live algorithm programming is overly cerebral? How do we
> compromise between innovation and smoothness of execution?

I find the keyboard/mouse combination pretty useless for expression
personally, although I am stuck with it. I also think they make it
difficult to express process to an audience. I'm really interested in
moving code away from text (or boxes and wires) and into more immediate
forms.

I have some embryonic ideas of a system where you would set up chain
reactions with big primary coloured lego blocks (a bit like a build your
own mr driller level):
http://digilander.libero.it/calimerosegg/gallery/gbadvance/mrdrill2.gif

Would such a thing still be code? What does "code" mean? A turing
complete language?

Perhaps I need more sleep :)

dave