Re: [livecode] re: coding from scratch

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 2004 17:34:40 +0100

hope placard went well, Dave, Alex.

nice hat, Ge.

great Mexico City pictures, Tom.

thanks for jitlib/bbcut fix Julian, will incorporate into future releases.

three quick things:

README lineup, equipment spec good. Definitely two, three projectors would
be excellent. I believe RedFrik is an audio act though, not VJ in this
context. Is Dave Griffiths joining us on live video with fluxus? Not coming
to Aarhus?

I commit to playing from scratch too like Alex and practising like a
regular musician in runup. Will be doing the other preset live code mods
style for a klipp av gig that week anyway. (perhaps there'll be a score
(software specification?) or a classic algorithm as improvisational theme-
danger of too blank a slate, improvisations are usually rooted in a style.
I can't wait for free jazz programming devotees though...).

There are haptics in programming- I can enjoy typing. But feel of typing
doesn't lead to musical themes in the same way themes fit keys or the
breath. In musical improvisation actions are often so automated out of
conscious control that you get a rush of pleasure in the flow of your own
mind/body. Live algorithm programming is overly cerebral? How do we
compromise between innovation and smoothness of execution? Ah. well, to
practise...