[livecode] re: coding from scratch

From: Craig Latta <craig_at_netjam.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 23:41:36 -0700

Hi Alex--

> Welcome to TOPLAP, Craig!

        Thanks! :)

> How did you find us?

        It's pretty funny... it was an serendipitous Google event. While
searching for information on a Squeak project called "Chuck" (not
"ChucK" :), I came across ChucK, and noticed that Perry Cook, a former
co-worker of mine was working on it. Not surprisingly, I found the
project extremely interesting, and noticed a reference to this list in
the papers. "Sign me up!" I said. :)

> Maybe we should organise some kind of TOPLAP conference.

        Yeah! I hope there's a strong dynamism component at the Electronic
Music Foundation's laptop performance festival next year, for example
(contacts are keren_at_emf.org and laptops_at_emf.org).

> > At the minimalist extreme, I've been working on making the virtual
> > machine and object memory absolutely as small as possible but still
> > able to start and extend itself.
>
> Wow... How fast can you build up a piece of music in such a
> minimalist environment?

        Well, if you allow yourself the liberty of loading a few key modules
(e.g., the ability to play audio frames), it can be quite quick. But
again, the thing that interests me about making things small and mobile
is the possibility of doing interesting things with lots of machines at
once.

> > Your point about frozen performances also struck a chord with me...
> > in addition to being changeable during performance, Squeak can make
> > perfect snapshots of a running object memory, for resumption later
> > (e.g., on a different machine, with a different host operating
> > system).
>
> Handy, although I suppose one problem is that it can't save what you
> were thinking about at that moment. Maybe this is less of a problem
> for other people though, my memory is terrible.

        I find that the saved state and the computer really helps me remember
those things. Every pixel comes back the same, every process, etc.

> ...I have to ask, which of your senses does [synaethesia] effect?
> ...How does this affect your programming?

        Primarily I have visual associations with sounds (colors and shapes).
My programming is more affected by a tendancy to anthropomorphise just
about everything, both things and ideas. :) Conceiving of numbers and
structures as having moods, etc.

        Thanks again for the welcome!

-C

--