Re: [livecode] brighton mock

From: alex <alex_at_state51.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 2004 22:16:24 +0100

On Thu, 2004-07-08 at 20:49, Amy Alexander wrote:
> hmmm, actually, what i was trying to do with the photography example was
> not compare rejection, but compare mechanical forms of artmaking.

Ah, yes that is a good point. Sorry, I'm so used to photography being
accepted as a medium that I forget that it is mechanised, and was blind
to that aspect of the comparison.

> as to your question alex about, "why do we use computers" - i can - or
> could - play several instruments and got far enough with some to be a
> performance major in college - but i was always frustrated because my
> craft was ok but not excellent, despite lots of practice - my mind knew
> what it was trying to express, but my fingers didn't move quickly or
> deftly enough to express it. (i'm also lousy at most sports).

I was lousy at sports at school too, at least I was always picked last
for football/rugby, although in his essays Paul Graham tells us that
this is because we didn't have the time for popularity contents that are
part of all school activities.

I took beginners courses in the guitar and the trumpet but although I
never got to be good, I don't think it was just the craft aspects that
let me down, but I just got frustrated with not being able to make
anything new. I'd play someone elses tune or copy someone elses rhythm
but I just couldn't find a way of making my own tune or rhythm.

I think programming has helped me really forget about the mechanics of
reciting and forced me to try to create something new. I don't think
I'm particularly successful but it has got me further than the guitar
did at least.

alex