[livecode] another 80s coding ref

From: Nick Collins <nc272_at_cam.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 2004 10:12:06 +0100

Roelf Toxopeus just sent me this as corroboration that Forth live coding
was in frequent use in the 80s. This is from some George Lewis lecture
notes it seems.

I never received responses from Bischoff/Perkis on their dating of their
early livecoding performances, so I suspect Kuivila is still the prize
winner...

(from www.manovich.net/Lewis.doc)

7) David Rosenboom: Systems of Judgment. An update on David since his
days of brain-jamming with John and Yoko. This improvised piece from uses
the computer to record sections of David's piano playing. The computer
system alters the recording, adds new material, and sends it to another
piano, which plays the new material. The piece is like Voyager in that it
is a duo between computer and person, where each has its own say in the
music and its own instrument to play. The difference is that Voyager does
not record anything, but synthesizes its part on the basis of its analysis
of the input. Rosenboom created this system using a computer languageof
his own design, called "HMSL", which was a Smalltalk-like variant of Forth,
which was the most widely used language in interactive music before the
emergence in the late 1980s of Max (created at Ircam by my UCSD colleague,
Miller Puckette). Forth was preferred over C because of the interactive,
basically real-time compiling of program, which actually allowed you to
write programs and execute them during performance. Making computer
programming part of a real-time, improvised performance was quite a
frequent practice during this period.

[Centaur records version 1989, Rosenboom's site dates as 1991. ]