Re: [livecode] brighton mock

From: Amy Alexander <amy_at_plagiarist.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 19:22:15 -0700 (PDT)

heh! and here i thought only visual computer artists had to sit through
these remarks! :-) all these years, bemoaning with my colleagues the fact
that visual arts was so far behind music in accepting and developing work
with computers, all these years, wishing we could work in an open and
enlightened community like musicians have... amazing! and the funny part
is, we weren't even live coding, just using computers in our work at all
(esp. while doing time as a computer animator) provoked essentially these
same two remarks...

if it's of any use, one of the more constructive responses seems to be the
Photography Defense, which provides historical perspective on similar
debates over technology and art. i.e. "Did you know that when artists
first began to work with photography, painters rejected it as mechanical
and antithetical to art? It took awhile for people to understand and
appreciate the artistic possibilities of photography, and how they are
different than those of painting...." ... it gets head nods from the
computer artists, at least. :-)

-_at_