Re: [livecode] q for a

From: <f_at_fredrikolofsson.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 18:27:58 +0000

a:
>to learn SuperCollider and wrote a Perl library for
>sending OSC commands to it, with timestamps for nice precision. So I'm
>just using it to render the sound

i've looked at doing livecoding from a shell (python maybe) which seems more
practical than sc's text editor (simple things like arrow-up to edit and
redo your last command = heavens!) but then i'm not keen on implementing the
whole timing, threads and tasks thing myself. also had ideas about building
my own text interpreter in sc (based on julian's DocumentArea?) but it seems
like the Document class is too limited for that atm.

perhaps irrelevant and only personal hookups but i'm having trouble with the
way supercolliders [mac] text editor works. i think it promotes select,
copy&paste code plus a lot of unnecessary mousework in between. what do you
say nick, julian, adc? me think this is bad as you tend to just reuse
snippets of code and not changing it - at least not in drastic ways. also
there's a lack of feedback when you evaluate something. sc just posts some
useless info in a status window by default. jitlib is a little bit better
often giving you an overview of proxies at hand but still long way from
satisfactory. i've noticed a great difference in outcome if i force myself
to do a jitlib session without copy&paste of code. often worse sounding :-(
but that's only a question of practice i hope.
how do you deal with this alex? do you have a library of code to copy&paste
from? and do you have some visual representation of processes running? or
are they more or less always in the form of ascii graphics?

think we haven't had a proper discussion yet about this basic tool we all
share... the code editor or command line.

_f