Re: [livecode] finishing paper

From: <f_at_fredrikolofsson.com>
Date: Fri, 28 May 2004 18:27:22 +0000

>weekend to go. We'll compile a finished thing on Monday I guess.

hm, wondering if my text has any relevance what so ever. it's crap and
better be left out. perhaps it'd fit if we decide to do the second part of
the paper as suggested 'current discussions from the mailinglist'. but i'll
look through and give it a go tonight. maybe i can come up with something
better. else dump it i say.

other comments on the text.

"exploring the art of coding in live performance" etc. and alex: "How can
live coding help break performer-audience separation?"
i agree with julian that there's an unfortunate basis towards the live-in-
front-of-an-audience performance situation in the text. maybe should we try
to find another word? maybe 'performace' here should be read more like 'the
performance _art_ of live coding'. what i'm trying to say is that the art
direction/genre called 'performance art' or 'aktion kunst' might be
something to refer to and perhaps soften this audience separation issue a
bit. judging from the performances i've experienced there is generally a
much looser aim, purpose, finished work or genius to put on a pillar. often
the audiences is provoked to take part in the piece but at least not sit
still and watch/listen. it's most often ongoing processes that you can
witness for a little while - stay or leave, come and go. many even not
meant to or impossible to follow from beginning to the end.
a little addition (introduction - in the middle) to try to catch some of the
above...
"So live coding allows the exploration of abstract algorithm spaces as an
intellectual improvisation + and by revealing, provoking and challenging the
audience with the bare bone syntax, hopefully make them follow along or even
take part in the expedition."
see it as a suggestion. i don't have the english chops to do it i'm afraid.
besides you may all disagree :-)

detail: can't we give a precise year for the hub happening? annoying to
have to look that up in other papers.

_f

  #|
     fredrikolofsson.com klippav.org