Re: [livecode] finishing paper

From: Amy Alexander <amy_at_plagiarist.org>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 13:20:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Thu, 27 May 2004, Nick Collins wrote:

NC> interactive programming solo is prototyping/practise? Composition, not
NC> improvisation under real-time constraints.
NC>
NC> I don't want to cause schism but I would fear a diluting of message if we
NC> did an either or case on performance perhaps; depends how couched. Please
NC> feel free to suggest anything to resolve this!

just a thought; i've had similar feelings about the improvisiational
"realtime" nature of coding at home at times, which audiences for a work
(performance work or not) can't experience, and my actual livecoding
performance, if i perform the Thingee, probably won't be at all like that
- it will be more concerned with outward performance than inward... alex's
"hacking sound in context" paper i think captures that vibe well...

i'm rambling cause in a rush, but i mean: if we explain the visceral
immediacy of programming that occurs when programming non-performatively
as a starting off point, that may help cover this aspect of livecoding
while also providing readers an important insight, esp. to
non-programmers, into why we think livecoding is so meaningful.

i will also try to make some edits soon to my section. shall we also note
where are sections are derived from email discussion? i would prefer that
people not think i would write in such a rambling, incoherent manner for a
formal paper (even though that may also be true :-).

btw, how are we doing on time? i'm trying to take it easy on typing these
next couple days - arm's a bit sore from tetanus shot...

-_at_