Re: vislivecode slightly ot rambles (was Re: [livecode] another ramble)

From: alex <alex_at_slab.org>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 23:06:04 +0100

On Thu, 2004-05-20 at 22:40, Amy Alexander wrote:
> 1) how do you go about telling the interpreter "execute now" when live
> coding? dave, you're using highlighting? does it execute as soon as you
> highlight? or you have to hit RETURN or something?

I have Perl recompile the whole file I'm editing all the time. State is
preserved - it's just interpreting it as an extra bit of code, except
old versions of sub-routines get replaced with real ones.

I have two modes... One is to have the interpreter run over the code
every time I type any key, or every time the running program edits its
own code. This mode is of course completely impractical as you have to
think of the effect of every single keypress. It also uses a lot of
CPU, so I can't keep many running at a time without getting audio
drop-outs... This is because my programs tend to edit their code a lot,
putting in comments to let me know what's going on.

The other mode triggers a recompile every time I hit ctrl-x. This seems
to work for me.

> 2) validation - i make typos when livecoding, and then the illegal
> commands generate a
> nasty crash or at least an error in performance! i may just integrate
> those into the performance, but, curious how others handling this problem?
> are you having some code validation go on before execution, or... ???

My code first tries to compile it into a scratch area first, so that if
the program isn't syntactically correct it leaves the old version
running.

alex