Re: vislivecode slightly ot rambles (was Re: [livecode] another ramble)

From: Amy Alexander <amy_at_plagiarist.org>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 14:40:36 -0700 (PDT)

woops, i said i was replying to nick's post, but i meant dave. sorry! i
have a strange tendency to switch names or words sometimes, for no
apparent reason. anyway...

DG> I'd love to see this - I have a project here:
DG> http://www.pawfal.org/Software/fluxus/ which runs scheme scripts to read audio
DG> input and make realtime animations.

cool! i will check it out once i'm in front of a linux console!

DG> The actual script interface is in a seperate window to the renderer currently.
DG> At the moment it sort of resembles the maya mel script editor in that you
DG> write code, and highlight it to execute it in fragments. That way you can

ok, so here's my 2-part question, for you and alex and everyone:

1) how do you go about telling the interpreter "execute now" when live
coding? dave, you're using highlighting? does it execute as soon as you
highlight? or you have to hit RETURN or something?

i'm for now using the semicolon (which lingo does not use) to indicate
to lingo "execute this now!" but i'm wondering if there's a better way
than using a character or even RETURN within the "editor" - since any of
these are subject to typos, and then i have to delete it to edit the
line to make it do something else, and sometimes i forget and it tries to
execute an incomplete line of code.
i realize this will vary with the livecoding methodology being used, but
just curious how others are doing this.

2) validation - i make typos when livecoding, and then the illegal
commands generate a
nasty crash or at least an error in performance! i may just integrate
those into the performance, but, curious how others handling this problem?
are you having some code validation go on before execution, or... ???

thx!
-_at_