Re: vislivecode slightly ot rambles (was Re: [livecode] another ramble)

From: Dave Griffiths <dave_at_pawfal.org>
Date: Thu, 20 May 2004 11:14:56 +0100

hi all,

I just joined the list after being pointed here by alex, and the first thing I
read is related to something I've been writing for a while! :) hope you don't
mind me jumping in, I usually lurk for a bit longer ;)

On Thu, 20 May 2004 02:17:45 -0700 (PDT), Amy Alexander wrote
> On Wed, 19 May 2004, alex wrote:
>
> a> Here's another unedited ramble. With this I'm trying to describe
> my a> live code editor, which has just been given the name of
> feedback.pl.
>
> i've been thinking off and on about what it might be like to do something
> like this with visuals, and somehow the above two lines from alex provided
> the magical inspiration. so last night i threw together a rough quick
> funny thingee that's a livecode editor and vj instrument - both at
> the same time. you type the code on the screen, and it actually
> executes the code as you type it

I'd love to see this - I have a project here:
http://www.pawfal.org/Software/fluxus/ which runs scheme scripts to read audio
input and make realtime animations.

I guess this is a bit different to your idea in that the movement is coming
from audio, but the "scenes" you build are script driven.

The actual script interface is in a seperate window to the renderer currently.
At the moment it sort of resembles the maya mel script editor in that you
write code, and highlight it to execute it in fragments. That way you can
build up a palette of function calls and bits of code and execute them with
the mouse and a keypress. The whole time you're doing this, the renderer is
doing it's thing, so it's usable live.

There's a rather old screenshot here:
http://www.pawfal.org/Software/fluxus/images/using1.jpg

> but all the visuals are made of the onscreen code too

One day I'd like to make the code editor a quake style console thingy, so the
code is visible to all, on top of the 3D. Figuring out the interface for this
is a bit more tricky, but I guess it could work in a similar fashion.

> in keeping with my new "foot-operated software" crusade, i may also
> add an option where you can do the live coding with your feet on a
> DDR pad.

This sounds interesting - feet are an oft neglected input... :)

cheers,

dave